Lake Celebrates Athletic Department Accomplishments
For immediate release:
June 18, 2013
Lake Local Schools’ Athletic Director Bruce Brown presented his department’s accomplishments last night at the Lake Board of Education meeting. “We are very proud of our students”, said Brown. “They not only performed well on the field but in the classroom and community as well”.
Among the notable achievements for the 2012-2013 school year are:
· Forty-one Lake High School students recognized as tri-athletes, participating in three sports and promoting the athletic department philosophy of “sharing athletes”.
· 163 Lake High School students participating in two sports, representing nearly one out of three students engaged in interscholastic athletics.
· Recognition as runner-up for the Federal League Sportsmanship Award. In the six years of the award, Lake has either won or finished as runner up each year.
· Two student athletes named “Athlete of the Year” in their sport (Boys’ Cross-Country and Boys’ Golf) and three coaches were named “Coach of the Year” (Boys’ Varsity Basketball, Boys’ JV Basketball and Girls’ Basketball) in their respective sport.
· The department finishing the third year of its strategic plan which is aligned with the plan for the district, meeting 14 of 18 action plans.
· Eleven members of the Athletic Department having been certificated as “Accredited Interscholastic Coaches” (AIC) by the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS).
· Twenty-one Lake High School Seniors recognized with the “All-Academic Award” (3.8 cumulative GPA) for the 2012-2013 school year.
In addition, Brown recognized each sport’s highlights and significant benchmarks, including those student athletes recognized by the Federal League, Stark County and the OHSAA.
Jeff Wendorf, Lake’s Superintendent, remarked that Brown’s leadership, attention to detail and adherence to the strategic plan has made Lake’s Athletic Department one of the top performing departments in the state. “We are very proud of our Athletic Department leadership, our coaches and our students, as well as grateful for the support of our parents and the Lake community”, said Wendorf. “When we all work together, our students can accomplish great things on and off of the playing field”.
Lake Athletic Accomplishments 2012-13.pdf